Saturday, November 24, 2007

We are getting closer!

As I was typing the title to this post, it struck me that I used the same title for a post shortly before we left.

Now I use it because we are getting closer to our return. I apologize that it has been a few days since our last post, but I wanted to wait for Melissa to post about our Thanksgiving day experience which she just posted.

On Friday, the other two families from our agency, the Pinsons and Tanskis, have arrived from Nanning. They have daughters from the same list as the Harknesses. They are both adorable. In addition, our representative from Hope For Children, Aisha (who was traveling with the families) arrived. It was great to finally meet her (she came to Hope after we moved to Illinois so we have only corresponded with her via phone, e-mail, and fax). She is great! Ray and Laura, you will enjoy working with her.

On Saturday morning, we had the visa photo session and physical exam that are done in advance of the consulate appointment. Sarah Beth was not pleased about either at all (an understatement). I hope we get to keep the visa photos after we return as she was in full yell. Not to be unkind, but the general consensus was that she looked like the Muppet, Animal.

During the physical exam, she should that she possesses superhuman strength. At one point, Melissa, the doctor, and I were holding her down, but she was stronger than all of us.

At lunch, we had a great time with the Pinsons, Aisha, and Jophy. We have done better than we thought with authentic Chinese food (what we typically eat in the US is Cantonese-style...sweet and sour dishes etc., but it is very little like true Cantonese). The kids have gone way outside their comfort zone and are becoming very handy with chopsticks.

It is now Sunday morning here and we are preparing to go to the Chinese Church (English version this week). It is hard to believe that we fly out in three days. We have enjoyed our time here and better understand what several veterans have shared with us about the length of the stay being important. We see that in our daughter and are so pleased with her progress. She feels like she has been a member of our family for years. We are looking forward to our homecoming so you can meet Sarah Beth!

I am not one to harp on things, but I continue to be impressed about asking you if you are being called to adopt. As we have talked to Chinese people that our age, they share with us that they are one of four or five kids (the child restrictions were put in place in 1978). They all love to tell stories from their growing up and then seem to sadden as they talk about only having one child. It is ironic to me that we in prosperous America long for smaller families, yet in Communist China they long for larger families.

We love you and look forward to our reuniting with all of you!

8 comments:

Jason D said...

Millers!

SO know what you mean about the call to adopt. More and more it feels like I should ask people who have not adopted, "when did you hear God's call not to adopt?" That's basically what pushed Nancy and I over the edge . . . we ran out of reasons why we thought we couldn't do it.

I went to a conference lately where a statistic was read that was incredible. For every ONE orphan in the world, there are 33 Christians who could adopt them. WOW! Imagine if just one of every 33 professing Christians decided to bring a precious child home. Man! No more orphans. We should be able to do this as the church right?! It must be God's will for those orphanages to be empty. I can't imagine His will would be anything else.

You guys look great! Clay prayed today that you would bond well with Sarah Beth and Kole prayed you would get no Chinese diseases that would make you fall out of the airplane (so if you were worried about that, we've got you covered!).

Can't wait to see you all!!! Now come home!!!

Jason

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Chad, Noles lost to Florida 45-12. Georgia Tech lost to Georgia 31-17. I just thought I would let you know. LSU lost, Kansas lost, I think its going to be Ohio State and West Va. in the National Championship game. I think Missouri will lose to Oklahoma. I just thought you might want to know. I think Chan Gaily will be fired at GT. I almost forgot, Auburn beat Alabama for the 6th time in a row. Alabama also lost to LA Monroe last week.

english said...

Hey Sweet Friends,
Melissa, I loved your journal. Every word sounds like your heart! I am so thankful for Sarah Beth's bonding with Chad and everyone! I know your parents must be ecstatic! When do you arrive in IL? Let us know the flight times so we can be praying specifically. We love you and cannot wait to have a Miller Christmas card arrive in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love , English

lisa kindred said...

We truly feel so blessed we have all been able to share this journey with you. Store those memories in your heart forever. It is so neat to hear you say you feel like she has been with you for years. That is so GOD that binds your hearts in that way,. You have traveled across the world to find the daughter God has chosen for the Miller Family. She so belongs with you !.

We all anxiously await your homecoming. What a day of rejoicing that will be!

Love to you all! LIsa

Sanders Family said...

Oh Millers,
I just can't put into words how excited we all are to see you Wednesday. I absolutely love following these journeys to China (and elsewhere) As happy as I'll be to welcome you home, I'll be needing to feed my blog addiction, but thanks to Lora and Neil Clements I'll be good for another two weeks. We sent them off SUnday with prayer and blessings as they leave Wed. What a Christmas this will be. Get home safely and prepare yourselves for the onslaught that awaits you! xoxoxo laura

Sherry Semlow said...

Hello Millers -

It's hard to believe that your China trip is almost over. I cannot wait to hear the details of what God has shown you of Himself during these past days. We have certainly gotten a glimpse of it through your posts. Thank you so much!

What a blessing that Abby, Noah, and Josh have gotten this special time to bond with Sarah Beth on their own. There will certainly be lots of sharing to do when you get Sarah Beth home. :)

We are anxious to rejoice with you in person over this precious little girl! Know that we will be praying for much peace and sleep on the flight home!!!!

Love you guys! - Sherry

David said...

Re: "called to adopt”; when my kids were younger, people often asked Laura and I how we found the baby that we adopted. I always answered the same way. We didn't find her. We weren't even looking for her. She found us.

Best wishes on your return home.

Chad, I don't think there will be too many things on fire when you get back to the office. We kept the arson to a minimum around here.

Of course, it is only Monday . . . .

Val said...

Hey Millers,

We wish we could be there to greet you at the airport. Have a safe trip home!! Josh, Noah and Abby, tell your parents you want to bring your new little sister to Florida soon. :)

Love you guys! Val, Clement, Leona and Clement Antonio.