Today was a great day of sightseeing. We went to a Chinese National Park in Guangzhou named Baiyun Mountain. We rode a cable car up and then walked around. It has a butterfly pavilion and a bird sanctuary. One of the pictures is of a show that was going on at Baiyun Mountain. People would come up and sing (some well, others...) and judges could gong people. The folks really were enjoying it. I wonder what they would have thought of one of us trying to sing.
They also had a bird show that we watched. The highlight was the very end when these birds would fly out from the stage to people holding money, perch on their arm, and then fly back with the money. The amazing thing is their recognition of money. They would only fly to people who were holding money (not other slips) and the money had to be 5 yuan or greater, or US dollars. A bird flew up to all of our kids, but I was only able to get a shot of Noah before they flew off.
After we left the mountain, we went to a Cantonese restaurant. It was a true cultural experience as they catered to locals and had no silverware for the kids. They are getting better with their chopsticks and were put to the test. We had a lunch of green tea, fried rice, fried noodles, sweet and sour pork, some tofu with corn, but the highlight had to be the steamed chicken. The plate was brought and the kids were stunned for a second--they steam the whole bird and then cut it up, and that is how it is served. Imagine our surprise to see a chicken staring back at us.
(Melissa is now blogging)
There were certainly no Americans in this restaurant, as our guide asked us if we wanted "real Chinese". As we walked up I was a little nervous and started praying because the smell was not at all appetizing! To the side was a blood stained bucket and MANY bones and feathers. When we got into the restaurant our guide asked us what we wanted since the menu was in Chinese.
All of the chicken/pork had bones in it. No such thing as boneless chicken breasts! Another sight is all the stray dogs that walk around the restaurant while you are eating. This was quite interesting for the Millers but this must be a common sight in outdoor Chinese restaurants since no one else seemed to notice them.
Sarah Beth was quite excited about the chopsticks and instantly picked them and tried to use them. This was her kind of food!! She loved the rice, noodles and especially the tofu soup. Her little mouth stayed open just about the entire meal. Her favorite food so far though I think is a Dove chocolate ice cream bar. My kind of girl!! Will post pictures of this treat later!
She is now playing with her stacking cups. She has now turned the "cups" into "bowls" and has J, A, and N lined up and is pretending to feed them, all the way down the line. I bet her foster Mama lined them all up and did the same. So cute!!!! We cannot get enough of her.
Saturday, November 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






8 comments:
Love seeing the little smile from your princess. Enjoy the rest of your stay and know that we are praying for you all. We had an uneventful trip home so hope you guys have the same. Watching your blog daily.
Good morning Millers (or good evening in your case)! Happy to see you holding that little girlie, M! Glad to see that the Straights made it home! I'll try to call Donna today!
Hello Millers! - The sweet picture of Sarah Beth smiling brought tears to my eyes. She is absolutely beautiful! Melissa - the one of you holding her is absolutely priceless too!
I am praising him that He is bonding her heart to you all so quickly. I would have loved to have been there to see her play feeding Abby, Noah, and Josh. This is one of Kaden's favorite things to do with us. :)
We continue to pray for days of sweet memories and nights of sweet rest. Blessing! - Sherry
Hey Millers,
We love the pictures. Sarah Beth does look like she is adjusting. Praise for the Gatorade! Melissa, I love the picture of you holding Sarah Beth. How long you have waited! So what size is she actually wearing? She looks so tall. I love looking at all these baby girl clothes! We can't wait to hear how Sarah Beth likes her first Chick-fil-A nugget. Is there one in the Detroit airport? We love you and are praying for you.
Love, the Hollands
Hi all,
The pictures are great. It was great to see Josh holding her. You can sure see how she is attaching to all of you. I love the story of her feeding Josh, Noah and Abby. She is "playing" out what is going on in her life. We love you! xoxo, Amy
I can tell it is Saturday by the lack of comments on the blog. A load of your sweet friends are helping out Jason and Nancy as they are moving into their rental house this weekend. It was an unbelievably beautiful day here today! I had a chance to catch a glimpse of these pics before I headed out this morning and I thought of them all day! I was so thrilled with the life I see in her eyes and face that wasn't there just 2 days ago. It is precious to see you all getting to know one another. How sweet her little face...the first picture...a hint of a smile...I see Noah in that little smirk. She almost looks like she could be ornery, but we know that is not true! We can see and hear that she has you all right in the palm of her hand...right where you should be! Love y'all :) so much! Amy
What a JOY it has been to watch God at work with you and your new daughter. She is so PRECIOUS. My favorite picture is the one of SB and her mama. SOOOOO SWEET. She looks so relaxed and secure with you. It is so much fun for us to go along on your journey. Thanks for sharing with all of us.God has been preparing her to be with you FOREVER. Hope you are now sleeping much better.Enjoy your lifelong family experience. Love, LIsa
Sarah Beth is a doll! The different facial expressions are so cute and I am glad that you are taking lots and lots of pictures to share with us!
Love to the big sister and brothers!
Donna
Post a Comment