Wednesday, November 14, 2007

She is perfect!






What a wonderful day. We are in awe and amazement. We have already gotten her first smiles. We are so thankful we learned some Chinese words because she smiles when we say "gwai"(english spelling) which means "good girl." The kids taught her to do high fives and to blow kisses. I am SO glad we brought the kids. It has made Sarah Beth's transition so much easier. She is absolutley adored. The kids have already shed tears over sharing her.

She has only cried hard one time but I know the grieving will come. When she woke up from her nap on my chest she started crying. Big crocodile tears of sadness for her foster mama but she is doing so well now. We found out she has been in foster care since she was 3 months old and had many foster brothers and sisters so she is used to a bigger family. She is so beautiful and healthy. Even some precious rolls on her thighs! She is very skinny and long.

Our guide Jophy was amazed at her height. She stood next to Josh and said, "she fit in here!" I am mesmerized by her eyes. They are so big and bright which everyone comments on. Jophy said, "Her eyes match your family." God is so amazing to even confirm that by our guide. Even the smallest of details our Father pays attention to. She looks right into our eyes too which make us melt! So peaceful, God truly has answered every prayer.

She is a thumb sucker and rubs her tummy when she is tired. Just like Abby only she sucked her fingers. Once again down to the smallest of details, God has chosen her for our family. Chad held her while she sucked her thumb and he rubbed her tummy until she fell asleep in his arms. She slept between us(does not want her crib, high chair or stroller yet) and I kept waking up to look at her. What a beautiful baby sleeping so peacefully. One time she was on her back with her hands above her head just like Noah. Chad and I giggled. She just called out but is not quite awake so I can keep blogging!

She will not take a bottle from us but will eat. She likes cereal, rice and noodles. Chocolate too(smile) because Josh gave her an M&M. She opened her mouth like a little bird for more!!! She did let Abby change her diaper, but was very sad when we tried to change her clothes. We expected that based on others' experiences.

(Sarah Beth just woke up and is a little upset so Melissa is holding her and I will finish posting)

We spent the afternoon and evening strolling around Shamian Island (the Pearl River flows through Guangzhou and Shamian Island is a very small island in the Pearl River where most families who adopt stay) doing some shopping. The kids are learning to negotiate pretty well. The sights are interesting as well. We walked into a restaurant that serves seafood where you pick what you want and then they pull it out and prepare it. We were a little grossed out by the snake, worms (think mutant earthworms about as big around as your thumb), and eels.

Doug, Josh and I bought some knock-off watches from Belinda and I mentioned you. She asked "D-O-U-G, Doug?" and gave a hearty laugh.

There is a really nice park around the corner from our hotel that we visited too. Sarah Beth let us put her down and she would walk around the park with the kids. I know that Melissa mentioned it earlier in this post, but we are so glad we brought the kids as they have been a tremendous help and seem to bring Sarah Beth comfort as she adjusts. Most of the pictures in this post are from the park. The other one is of Josh, Abby, and Sarah Beth in our hotel room.
As I wrap-up for now, I wanted you all to know how much your comments have meant to us. They have encouraged us, they have made us laugh, and they have brought us to tears. We miss you all and realize that our homesickness will grow as our time in Guangzhou passes.
Sherry, Melissa wanted me to let you know that before we left to go get Sarah Beth, she was listening to music to settle herself and the song you referenced in your comment was the song she was listening to--"Our God Reigns". He certainly does.

18 comments:

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

What an amazing first day! So happy. M - I talked to your mom today and she had not been able to see the pics. I told her that SB is just as cute as her referral pic, only with more hair!

We laughed about Belinda - she is so funny!

Have fun and we look forward to hearing more! So glad she is a perfect fit!

Amy said...

Oh my how darling! She looks so healthy. She looks just SO good!! Just at rest with you. I love these pics of her with her big brothers and sisters. Josh, Noah and Abby, you all look like pros! I am glad you guys are there to help your mom and dad out. I just can't get over how Miller she is! I love hearing all of the sweet details...arms above the head, sucking her thumb, m& m lover (be sure to have some of those around on the plane). Our banners are held HIGH for our Great God!!! much love, Amy

thomasfamily said...

So amazed at the goodness of our God. Sarah Beth is such a Miller. Josh, Abby and Noah will be the best big brothers and sisters. The "Little Mama" that's always been in Abby sure is coming out. I am sitting here thinking of how much Abby likes her tummy rubbed and can't wait to rub Sarah Beth's tummy! We love you and can't wait to see more pictures and then all of you in person. XOXO Amy

Amy said...

Thank you God for the miracle of Sarah Beth and Your amazing gift of adoptive love. You have designed adoptive love it is a love that can only origiante with a God like You! How amazing are your ways...that would match us in perfect detail with little ones you birth in our hearts. We praise you for the physical birthing of Sarah Beth into the arms of the Miller family. You have done this and it is MARVELOUS in our EYES!!! (Especially the really big brown ones) We Praise and Glorify Your Mighty Name!

bridget said...

How UTTERLY GOD! I LOVE the pictures!! Thank you for letting us "come along"!!

All FOUR of your children look radiant!! And they should...they TOO have "labored"!!

Can't wait to squeeze Miss Sarah Beth!
She is ,as you said, PERFECT!!

Enjoy your day!! Bask! BEHOLD what HE has for you ....

Love you all~

Anonymous said...

Melissa--I was amazed when Chad blogged about Sarah Beth sleeping so peacefully between you two. Remember your dream???!!!
Is God amazing or WHAT!!! We have prayed and prayed for you all. My stomach was in knots last night at 10:30 pm. I can't imagine--what a blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!! We love you all!! Lisa

Aaron D'man said...

Dear Abby,

Hope you are doing good. Hope you are enjoying your new baby sister. It is really cool to see the pictures of you because we are going to adopt a little girl too. Hope you are having a good time in China.

Your friend
Lori Domingos

bridget said...

ONE more thing Melissa & Chad!!

Mama Sally just called and asked me to relay that she is UNable to get on the internet!! She needs a password!!

I told her I would let you know ASAP....she is anxious to see her Grandbaby! i INVITED HER DOWN.. she will come tomorrow IF she in still unable to get a password!!

KNOW ya'll are being talked abiut and rejoiced over by SO many!!

Love from ARK!~B

Amy said...

Noah,

Hope you are having fun in China. I'm really glad that you can see your sister. I wish I could see the great wall of China with you. can't wait to meet Sarah Beth.

your friend,
Joel

Amy said...

Josh,

I am really excited about your little sister. You are going to have a lot of fun with her...except when she is screaming at the dinner table. That can be annoying. see you soon.

Jacob

Greg and Donna said...

Hey Millers!

Thanks for more pictures and comments! Sarah Beth is a doll and I am so glad everthing is going well. Jophy was Amy and Brett's guide also! If you have time to go to the Pearl Market, try to remember my "order"!

Love to all! Donna and the gang

Sherry Semlow said...

I love how He is a God of details! I totally agree on the eyes. Sweet and precious that she has mannerisms of the rest of your clan.

Josh, Abby, and Noah - You all look so natural at having a baby sister. It's like I can't even picture you ever not having one. What a blessing that you got to travel with your mom and dad to get her.

Melissa - That is so cool about the song. For some reason I couldn't get my comment to post and had to type it 3 times this morning. By the third time, I was going to shorten it, but felt Him encouraging me to tell you about the song. :)

Enjoy and experience all the Lord has planned for you while you are in China. But I agree with Laura -get home already! Can't wait to meet her!

powellfamily said...

Melissa, It is wonderful to see you with your Sarah Beth! The kids look so happy.They have waited a long time too. The joy that this moment is finally here for you is just amazing!!!! Thank you for the pictures and your thoughts. It's really special to be a part of this experience. Love you!!

Sanders Family said...

thank you,thank you so much for all the wonderful details-I'm going to go back and read them again- looks like you had a dream first day- hallelujah! I love the faces of your sweet children- there's so much genuine joy there-keep those journals coming-we are eating it up! Much love to you, Laura

Sanders Family said...

Dictated by Isaac:

"Always when I go to your house, I'll always be nice to Abby because I'll snuggle with all the babies and when Naomi snuggles with me she always gets up on the couch and steps on my head and tries to get up. Sarah Beth is cute too. I will snuggle with Sarah Beth and Naomi and Zoe.
Isaac

Sherry Semlow said...

Hey she is so cute. Can't wait to see her. You are going to have so much fun. Tonight Kaden ran around the house while I chased him (he is fast I got so tired). You will be doing this soon. Enjoy you stay in China can't wait to hear about it. I have a China's history test tomarrow I am going to email you the questions and you can answer them for me (just kidding)

Hollie

Irene said...

How precious!!! It's so good to hear that your first day went well!!! I love seeing her in your arms and hearing about all the little details! I love the pictures with Josh, Noah and Abby. She looks so peaceful with you all! It's so awesome to see the similar facial features and hear about the similar mannerisms - How amazing is our God that He cares about these details! I'm sure it's hard to see Sarah Beth grieve, but it's so good for her to do that. It will pass and she'll attach to you more and more each day. Enjoy your time with her in China! Soak it all up! We can't wait to meet her in person. She is adorable!!! Irene

Corinne said...

Hey, I can’t wait to see Sarah Beth in person. She is so cute! I can’t wait to see a picture of Abby and her where they are both smiling. I hope you have a great time in China as one big family. Corinne