Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

There is so much to blog about today that there will be two blogs; one from Chad and one from Melissa.

Today, we went to the orphanage where Sarah Beth is from. We decided not to go to her finding place because it was so far away and because Sarah Beth has no emotional connection to that place. We have a map with it marked.

I am so glad that we went to the orphanage. We also got to meet her foster mother, which in the Guangdong province is not typical. We prayed over our family this morning and prayed that we got a chance to meet her. God heard our prayer and we were able to meet her. Here is a picture of Sarah Beth, her foster mother, and Melissa.

Not only was she Sarah Beth's foster mother, she is a staff member of the orphanage. A side comment: the orphanage was a beautiful place with a very clear focus on the children. Our guide mentioned a few times how clean and well run it was.

Sarah Beth was so pleased to see her and some of her roommates too. The staff from that floor swarmed around us and were very complimentary of Sarah Beth. They confirmed what we already see--that she is very bright (no, it's true). They mentioned that because she was more mature than many of the other children (and taller) that she liked to help the workers with the other children. She would get things for them and put things away. She sounds like she has good mothering instincts like Abby.

She spent some time with a friend and we were able to take a picture of her crib. It seemed like she was the queen bee on her floor.














I wish that I could express to you my thoughts and emotions at the orphanage, but they were all over the place and jumbled. We knew that Sarah Beth needed to see her orphanage and her foster mother, yet it was so conflicting to reintroduce people from her "past life" and have two people that she has known as "Mama".

That said, I think it was a good release opportunity for both Sarah Beth and her foster mother, and good for Melissa and I to understand an aspect of that life. When Melissa and the foster mother hugged, I won't even pretend that I understand all of the unspoken communication that took place between them, but it was a powerful moment.

We also got to see the playground area. What was neat was this was where the pictures we had of Sarah Beth were taken. In fact the yellow horse that the kids are standing behind was what she was sitting on in one of the pictures. I think it was a special moment for the kids. I have a picture of Noah standing beside it thinking--it's a special picture to me.

On the ride home, it seemed that even Sarah Beth understood that she had been released. She was quiet on the way there, and quite full of herself on the way home.

I do also need to comment on our lunch because it was quite an experience, and I got pictures. We had what is considered a "farmer's lunch". We had fried rice and pork steamed noodles. We also had a pork soup with an herb that is good for your digestion. We also had tofu and pork, some pan-fried fish and shrimp (think minnows and tiny shrimp--you eat them all whole), sweet and sour pork, and steamed chicken--you guessed it, with the head left on.

Because we ate at a local place, the staff was not used to seeing Americans. They were especially smitten with the kids. On our way out, everyone of the staff had there cellphones out having their pictures made with the kids. It was quite a sight!

What a day, how do I even wrap this up? One thing I have not commented on yet, was all of the other children we saw. Every room was set up like the room I do have a picture of (see the picture of Sarah Beth's crib) and almost every crib had a child in it. If we could I think we would have adopted everyone of them on the spot!

Right now, there are 33 Christian families per adoptable child in the world. That is a staggering statistic to me. I have to ask you, is God calling you to adopt? God started calling us to adopt six years ago in the still small voice of Josh at a Steven Curtis Chapman concert. Then, I think about an emotional moment with the Harknesses at Chastain Park in 2005. As a result of those seeds being planted, there are two daughters from China who are "a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor" (Isaiah 61:3b). What an adventure it has been (and still is...)

13 comments:

Aaron D'man said...

Dear Millers,
I know that this Thanksgiving must hold such profound meaning for all of you this year. But, what a special blessing of history and legacy for Sarah Beth! To experience her first thanksgivng in the purest and most true form. Freedom! As we honor this holiday as Americans, and most importantly as Christians, I feel led to remember what emotions and situations the first Pilgrims must have encountered. Joy! Uncertain futures! Language barriers! New people and culture! Peace that Passes Undestanding! Love for their Heavenly Father that had delivered them safely across a vast ocean! I am certain that Sarah Beth must also be experiencing these same feelings as she celebrates (in her own way) her first "Thanksgiving".

Blessings to you all from Alaska!
Love the Domingos'

What a fellowship, what a joy divine, leaning on the EVERLASTING arms.
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine, leaning on the EVERLASTING arms.
O how sweet to walk in this PILGRIM way, leaning on the EVERLASTING arms.
O how bright the path grows from day to day, leaning on the EVERLASTING arms.
What have I to dread, what have I to fear, leaning on the EVERLASTING arms.
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near, leaning on the EVERLASTING arms.

Donna said...

I am so happy you had such a blessed visit!

Sanders Family said...

I can't even talk (or type) I'm so moved by today's post-will write later -Happy Thanksgiving Laura

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Our thoughts are scrambled, but all we can say is what a blessing for all of you to connect and re-connect and know that God is in all of this! Missing you here in South Carolina, but know that you are where you supposed to be this year. God's planning is so perfect! Hug all for us and know that we are looking forward to our opportunity to connect and re-connect. Have a blessed day!!

Derek, Joyce, Ryan and Zach

cummings said...

Happy Thanksgiving one more time!
Wow, You had an amazing day!
The cribs all together made me sad.
If Sarah Beth only knew what she was leaving and where she was going-a new and wonderful life!
I really enjoyed dinner with mamaw and papaw! It was very pretty inside, lots of good food.
Alan says hello from England. He dined on fish and chips!
Its cold and cloudy here. Winter has begun. Sarah Beth will be our sunshine when she arrives home.
Booboo and I are going to rest and watch a movie.
We Love You!
Booboo's mom

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Isn't it amazing how we realized that Sara was the first to suggest adoption at the SAME exact Steven Curtis Chapman Tour! That is part of our Red Thread - and we didn't even know it 6 years ago! I love that.

What a blessing to be able to hug Sarah Beth's FM on T'giving - I'm so happy you went; like I said, that was the highlight of our trip!

I'm sure Sara and Josh will happily relinquish their "titles" (I promised Sara that I wouldn't type in those specific titles, but you know what I mean!) to Sarah Beth and Ally (Trudie and Ludie?)!

Amy said...

Wow! What a day! Thank you for all the pictures. The yellow horse picture is quite cool...kind of like that is where you first fell in love with their little sister. I am so thankful that God has pieced together all the parts of the story He knows Sarah Beth will one day hold dear. Those pictures of her foster mama and her crib...all of those things were provided as treasures from the Lord. This foster mama knows how much heart you put into a babe! How blessed she has been to be so loved.
Okay, stop with the horrifying images of food already! You are really scaring me!
Mamaw and Papaw stopped by for a Thanksgiving visit tonight. That was so nice to have them here. They are precious! They are so anxious to have you home. You can tell they so love their baby "Missy". We sent them off with some good 'ole thanksgiving leftovers...Papaw was excited about the pie. :) Much love and THANKS to our ALMIGHTY FATHER...the GIVER of ALL GOOD GIFTS!!!

mamawandpapaw said...

We had a very special Thanksgiving. Dinner with Laura was so nice. Lots of good food and fellowship. Quite a pretty place and it was great getting to know Laura. Visited with the Arnolds in the evening and that was special too. They sent home 2 plates of food and dessert. We understand why it would be hard for you to move. You have been blessed with such wonderful friends.

So glad everything went well at the orphanage and you were able to meet SB's foster mother. I'm sure it was very emotional and this phase of her life is in the past and you can truly start a new life together as God has planned.

Amy (sis)said to tell you she has been having trouble sending a comment from Gainesville and you will hear from her when they get back home. They had a nice Thanks-giving with Bill and Michelle and Zot and Audry. We are counting the days until we see you. Love to you all. Mamaw and Papaw

thomasfamily said...

We missed you all at Thanksgiving. We needed FOUR Miller children running around the house. Buddha and Pearl were looking for you!
Melissa - I can't get out of my head and heart the image of you hugging SB's foster mom. It was as if it was God's way of spiritually transferring SB from her to you. I cry each time of think of if. Our God is so amazing. He thinks of every detail of each moment and event in our lives.
All of you, enjoy your least few days in China. Rest and relax as much as you can. Melissa - get that massage. When I hurt my back, the massages were one of the things I think helped the most. Chad, get another one!
We love you! xoxo, Amy

Teresa said...

Dear Millers,
I liked the pictures of Sarah Beth. I can't wait to see her. I'm glad you're having a good time in China. I can't wait to see all of your pictures of China. I can't wait to play with Sarah Beth and Abby. The boys can't wait to see Josh and Noah, too.
Love,
Hannah Davis

Teresa said...

Melissa,
I am so glad you got to meet SB's foster Mom. I'm sitting here at the computer very emotional. Your blog has brought back so many memories. I can't believe it's already been over 4 years. Meeting Hannah's Nanny and seeing the orpanage was the highlight of the trip (outside of getting Hannah of course) for John and I. I experienced so many emotions that day. I think there was much closure for Hannah, I and her Nanny that day. I'm so excited and glad that she is doing so well. I continue to marvel at the way God knows just what little one to place in which family. He truly is awesome! Can't wait to see you. Counting down the days.
Love,
Terea

Sheri Lyn said...

Melissa and Chad,

I can't even begin to imagine all of the emotions you are experiencing. I know your hearts have been expanded and your love even deeper for our Father and His amazing ways!

God is blessing your family in such a great way! I can't wait to meet Sarah Beth!

We had family here for Thanksgiving - they left at 4:30 this morning. Sad to see them go :(

Praying for all of you - can't wait to see you!!

Much love -
The Jones family

Sanders Family said...

Millers-
Where are you? There's been a bit of a disturbance around the Sanders' home--all worried about where you've been these past two days- please drop everyone a quick note so we'll know you haven't been kidnapped by some overly friendly zoo primate!
It took me a while to get myself together after reading your last blog. I had to pause while reading it to the kids about every 5 words to let out a big sob, and poor Isaac was just looking at me like I was an alien.
Although I've never been to the crib room, I would imagine it had to have been a moment like no other- coming to a full realization of the plight of orphans and the fullness of what God has called you to- I could just feel the intensity of that moment as you described it. Thank you for sharing it in such detail. Thank you also for your plea for all of us to consider our role in His plan for them.
I can finally see your return around the corner-oh what a day it will be to see you round the corner with that doll in your arms and your precious children's faces just full of excitement.
Have you seen Aisha yet?!! Let us know about that.
Missing you more and more. Laura