Thursday, November 15, 2007

A day of firsts


So far today, we have had two firsts with Sarah Beth--her first bath and her first bottle. This morning we wanted to give Sarah Beth a bath so Abby climbed in in her swimsuit to hold her while Melissa bathed her. That system worked pretty well and she played with her bathtoys.

The other first is finally taking a bottle. The bottle was of Gatorade, but at least it was a full bottle of something. We will be trying the suggestion of wahaha (a sweet milk drink) and formula.

We spent the morning in the park and then walking around the island. The kids bought these tops that light up when the spin and that you keep spinning by using a whip. They created quite a scene at the park with the schoolkids and with younger kids. Unfortunately, I am having some problems with blogger right now and cannot load anymore pictures. I will try again later this afternoon.
We said good-bye to the Straights last night and they left early this morning. We were glad to meet them finally and put a name with a face and with an adoption story. They had talked about how glad they were when we arrived as their boys had someone to play with. When we met the Tanskis and Pinsons this morning (they flew in last night, but are flying to Nanning this afternoon) we understood what the Straights meant. We are so looking forward to their return.
We were also pleased to get the news that the Clements have firm travel arrangements and a blog. We are disappointed that they fly out the day we leave so we won't get to see them off. Although it is neat that we will pass each other somewhere over the Pacific. We will add a link to their blog from ours as soon as we return.
Since China is Communist, they heavily regulate the internet. Blogspot and Youtube are not accessible in China. This is the reason we have not posted any video yet (we could through Blogspot, but it would take forever to transfer the clip). We are able to use blogger.com to post, but cannot see our actual blog page. For those coming behind us, we pass on a website that the Straights shared with us--bloglines.com. This site will allow you to plug in blog addresses and then you can see the blog updates from each blog you type in through it. This is allowing us to read others blogs while we are here.
We have to leave for our appointment. We will sign on later and try to post some pictures.

10 comments:

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Hey Guys - Glad she drank! Nothing wrong with G'ade! Looks like Abby will have her doing laps before too long.

About Blogger - I had to reduce most of the pictures I posted and then upload one at a time. Maybe that will help.

Glad the kids are having fun - it seems strange that you all are meeting all these people we know! Enjoy your evening (as we get ready to start our Friday AM!)

How is the playroom? Is it warm enough to swim?

Love you all! (Is Belinda saying "C. H. A. D. Chad" yet?)

Dan and Liz said...

So glad she took a bottle - Gatorade works and does the trip for hydration. Please know HFC families are back home praying for you and following your sweet journey. Sarah Beth is so lucky to have so many sweet siblings. We took our 13 year old son on our journey back in August for Michelle and it was the best decision we made. Your kids look like they are traveling well.

May God hold you close, safe, and healthy,

Liz Dan Zach and Michelle Caixing

Amy said...

Abby...God has heard the desire of your heart and He has answered! Sweetie, you look so great with your little monkey "sissy" wrapped around you! She is holding on for dear life!:)

PTL that she took fluids! So glad to hear the update that all is going well. Again, it sounds like the kids are having a great time. I had to laugh when I read about them "creating quite a scene with their tops". I just pictured Joel and Jack there spinning tops in the park with the Chinese children...but the "scene" I pictured was a bit more chaotic.:)

Last night we watched a movie "Beyond the Sun". I am not sure if you've heard of it. It's based on a true story of a family that adopts an older child from China. It was a beautiful and amazing story! It made us think of you guys often and made Joel (and Brad and I) very anxious to go get Libi Faith!!

You are loved and missed greatly!
Amy

bridget said...

How my heart heart soared hearing that Sarah Beth is drinking!!

Shaylee LOVED the Wahaha milk!!! eack comes with a straw attached much like our "juice boxes".

It is simply miraculous "watching" your family ...grow...

Bathing beauties!! Abby YOU are one precious BIG sister!! (and friend to my little China chickies!!) They WANT to take a bath with y'all too!!!!!

Have you made it to get a massage yet?? That was a highlight!!! I went TWICE... and for $9 !!!

Praying & rejoicing with you across the miles!!!

Much Love! Bridget

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

That is about the sweetest picture I have ever seen. You can see the love in Abby for her new sister. And I love the way Sara Beth is holding on to her.
One week down. Can you believe you left a week ago? So much changes in a short amount of time. Towards the end of the second week, we were all ready to head home. I don't think the longing for home happened until the last couple days. We really enjoyed our time. I also felt it was necessary for Ally. These children need to be able the hear their language, see their culture with their new family before heading home. Before we went, I did not understand why China wanted us there for so long. I guessed it was more money for tourism and that may be the case. My opinion changed while we were there, I felt we needed to be there for a while. Hang in there we love you guys and are praying for you. D-O-U-G Doug

Sherry said...

Praise the Lord that she took a bottle! It sounds like you are all doing amazing and soaking in everything you can! What a gift it will be for Sarah Beth that her brothers and sister will have stories of China to share with her.

The picture of Abby and Sarah Beth is absolutely adorable. Kaden saw it and said "EE EE" (his word for monkey). I have always loved when they wrap around and hang on so tightly.

How's the sleeping going? I'm praying it's peaceful and refreshing.

We miss you guys! Love, Sherry

Sanders Family said...

I love to see sarah beth in your familly it makes me want to see zoe. I hope that you come home soon because we all miss you so much! Hope to see soon!!!!!!!!

Collin

thomasfamily said...

Hi all,
Melissa, Abby looks so much like you in that bathtub.
I am so happy for you all. God has blessed you incredibly. His faithfulness endures for all generations. The blessings you are experiencing now will continue through your children and your children's children.
I am so thankful Sarah Beth drank the gatorade, but they really should make "seminole" ade or I guess, "war eagle" ade! We love you! xoxo, Amy

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! Love the pic!! Sarah Beth is the perfect match to your family!! It's amazing how God works by putting a child in a family that matches perfectly!! Hurry home soon!! I pray that you all continue to get enough rest!! We miss you all and can't wait to meet Sarah Beth!!

Taylor

mamawandpapaw said...

Just wanted you to know we are back on the internet. Loved the picture of Sarah Beth and Abby in the bathtub. I wondered if she had let you take her original clothes off. So happy to hear she is taking a bottle and that she is adjusting so well. It was good to talk to you last evening and hope you are getting some much needed sleep. Love you all. Mamaw & Papaw