Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Guangzhou!

We are in Guangzhou! After an early start this morning and an interesting flight, we landed in Guangzhou and have checked into the Victory Hotel. Most adopting families stay at the White Swan but we were told they were closing on November 1st for renovations (for the Olympics). However, it seems that while they are renovating they have remained open. At least we can take a stroll over and get a picture on the famous red couch.

I mentioned that the flight was interesting. We flew China Southern which is a Chinese domestic airline so we got a chance to see how an airline that serves just China looks and runs. The lunch we had was very good--something like Cashew Chicken with rice, a dinner roll, and lychee fruit (they are the size of crabapples, but taste like an apple and have a pit instead of a core). The announcements were all in Chinese with an occasional interpretation into English.

As we were the only foreigners (this is how visitors are referenced everywhere) on the flight, we were quite a spectacle. There does seem to be one universal word that everyone understands--Coke.

We intend to post again before we get Sarah Beth, but if we don't we are set to get her tomorrow at 10:30 am (that would be 8:30 on Tuesday night in Central time). Simply amazing!

11 comments:

Sanders Family said...

Let me be the first to say hello on the evening (your time) of your last day before receiving Sarah Beth. It's all down hill from here. Glad to see all the photos and reminders of our trip. Do your shopping soon so as to take advantage of the time, it goes by so fast. Chad, take a cab to the electronics store (a large outlet type mall) to see every gagget know to man in America. Can you say Sony? May blessings to you this day...can't wait to see the Gotcha file and notes. Ray

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Oh my - you are so close! We are thinking of you all constantly and praying too. We're so happy and wish we were there too! Find all of our friends so that they can come home and tell us how cute SB is in person - we already know how cute you all are!!! Ally just said "China"! Love you all!!!

Sherry said...

Wow! It's almost here! I am praying that God will give you incredible peace as you wait for the precious moment when they put her in your arms. What an amazing journey He has you on. I am so blessed that we are able to ride along with you all. We can't wait to see pictures of you holding her!! Blessings! Sherry

Amy said...

I am a mess just thinking about you being so close! I am reminded this morning of Psalm 20:4&5
"May he grant your heart’s desires
and make all your plans succeed. May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory and raise a victory banner in the name of our God. May the Lord answer all your prayers." Much love...Amy

bridget said...

GOoD morning afternoon & evening!! My face is beginning to HURT from grinning SO much!! I am ELATED for you ALL!!

You have BEEN a family in your heart.....in a FEW short hours ... you will SEE & Feel and realize the dream & the hope that was placed inside become REALITY!!

Showering God with PRAISE!! His GLORY is about to SHINE!!!!

Loving you ALllll across the miles!!~ Bridget

Sanders Family said...

I hope I can be productive today knowing what's right around the corner. I hope YOU can sleep!

There are no words to describe a time like this-it's the height of blessing on earth. Some things to remember as you prepare to go pick her up-
- Take a fun little toy in case she is hard to console.
- *Have someone (Josh,Chad?, innocent bystander?) with camera ready when they hand her off to you,but positioned where they can see your faces, as close as possible and then have them take as many photos as they possibly can-one of my regrets with Naomi is we didn't get that "moment" documented too well- there was just too much activity all at once-I so wish I had thought to have that set up better.
-If someone from the orphanage is there, ask them as many questions about her as you can-if you're interpreter is available to do that.
- Soak in Sarah Beth's every move, sound, touch..it will never be the same after a day with you.

The angels will be singing over you as you sing to her---be blessed my friend. Laura

Irene said...

I have butterflies in my stomach with anticipation of the first time you lay your eyes and hands on your new babe! I can't believe it's happening today! I'm so excited for you!!! I can't wait to see the pics!! We're praying for you!

"From the fullness of His grace we have all received one blessing after another." John 1.16

God is amazing!!! Love, Irene

Sanders Family said...

Thinking and prayin' about you everyday.

In prayer
Elliot

Sheri Lyn said...

This is the day the Lord has made - let us all rejoice and be glad in it!!! This is God ordained! Psalm 139:16b "All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be". Enjoy this day He has ordained for all SIX of you sweet Millers!! I can't believe you are there and she is just hours away from being in your loving arms. I'm so excited for all of you.

Abbey - the girls can't wait to have a sister sleepover!!! Enjoy your lil' sis!

Josh and Noah - Protect that little baby sister :)

Melissa and Chad - May God's peace by in your hearts and minds through this marvelous journey that He has set you on.

Can't wait to see her little face!!

God bless!
Love,
The Jones Family

mamawandpapaw said...

In just about 1 hour you will be holdingyour new daughter and our granddaughter. All your fears will vanish when you hold her in your arms. We look forward to family pictures and you are so blessed tohave such wonderful friends who are praying for you and encouraging you every step of your journey. Love you all. Mamaw and Papaw

Tracey said...

I know this moment is so overwhelming and glorious that you feel your heart will burst. Sarah Beth is beautiful. I am so happy that your family found her and she has found you. How God puts our precious families together is utterly amazing.

You are not only a blessing to Sarah Beth, but also to China. As you walk in the city, may the kingdom of God be extended to those precious Chinese people and may His glory be magnified.

We love you and can't wait to see you all again.
The Bartulas...